Friday, February 13, 2009

Here We Go Again: Nicolette Sheridan



I watched season 1 of Desperate Housewives and enjoyed it very much. After a few shows into season 2, I lost interest when the storylines and writing quickly went down the tubes. I watched now and then after that, mostly to check up on my favorite housewife, Nicolette Sheridan. Well, this season the 5 year jump had me back, and I am a regular watcher again. Too bad I am about to give the show up yet again.

It was recently announced Sheridan is being written off the show. My first thought was not to believe it as it seems the past few seasons this rumor starts about this time every year. Sheridan is often treated poorly by the Housewives writers and producers, having many episodes with her not in them (She has not been written for in a season ender in 2 years). This has always been odd to me as Sheridan and Edie are my favorite parts of the show. She adds so much. The four main housewives are great, but one of the reasons they work so well is none is the star. The action moves between the 4 (or 5) of them so none gets too over exposed. Dana Delaney is a great actress (Loved China Beach) but she is truly not a fifth housewife, her character, unlike Edie really adds nothing to the mix. It is odd a show which although showcases actresses also has a pretty bad track record with some of them. Alfre Woodard is a prime example, but Sheridan has also been terribly underused. Don't get me started on how the actors are treated. James Denton who after the first season was one of tv's hottest new actors 5 years later is one of the most boring actors on tv.

Nicolette Sheridan is a rare talent. Sometimes she comes across in interviews as a nut job, but she is highly entertaining, very talented, beautiful and has never failed to deliver no matter what the writers of DH have thrown at her. Even when she is given lame material, she rises above it and often stands out over the leads. If she is leaving this was a dumb dumb move on Marc Cherry's part.

No comments: