Sunday, March 1, 2009

Just Because: Courtney Cox Arquette



'Friends' like most really successful tv shows often gets dismissed. When a show is a HUGE hit, some diminish the brilliance of the writing, the stories, the acting. I have been recently rewatching some early seasons of Friends and am enjoying more now than I did on the first run. Firstly because watching anything on DVD is better than on a network. The ability to watch as many or as few episodes as you want enhances the viewing pleasure.



Although I love all the Friends, when watching the first time my favorites were Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Perry. (I still morn the loss of 'The Comeback') In rewatching I have discovered the truly amazing work done by Courtney Cox Arquette. Courtney and 'Monica' really were core to the success of Friends. Courtney who I found somewhat annoying on 'Family Ties' grew over the 10 years of Friends into a great actress. Monica's storylines in the second viewing are my favorites. Courtney walked a fine line between Monica's neurosis and vulnerabilities. Never a one note character, Monica could be the strong stable and at the same time goofy and obsessive. Her romance with Chandler was a great way to move Monica from her hunt for love to a longing for family and children. Just wanted to throw a shout out to the talented Courtney. Jennifer gets the media attention, not to mention the EMMY, but the true actress of the Friends cast to me is Courtney Cox Arquette.


No comments: