Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ladies of the Eighties



I was just a baby when Farrah Fawcett was all the rage in the late 70's. I do have her famous poster (above), but I only bought it a few years ago on ebay. I was impacted by her death, more than any of the other celebrity deaths of late. In the 80's I had a string of women plasted over my walls (most of those women are shown below). Many were big in the 80's, many were hold outs from the 70's. I have memories of watching old repeats of Charlie's Angels on Sunday afternoons and it was a treat when I saw a Farrah episode. I tried to watch the show a year or so ago when the DVD's came out, but to be honest I could not get through a full episode (except of course the classic 'Angels In Chains').

Even though I missed the Angels era of Farrah, I was fasinated by her as I grew older. I had a thing with women with long blonde hair (still do). There was something about her I found interesting, not just her look, but the conflict between her being this world wide sex symbol, while at the same appearing shy and reserved. My first experience of watching her was in 'Poor Little Rich Girl: The Barbara Hutton Story' in 1987. I was quite impressed with her acting and have been in everything I have seen in her in since. It is funny listening to some of my older family members talk about her. Even though they have seen Farrah Fawcett in many projects they cannot seem to see her as anything more than the Charlie's Angels poster girl.

I had followed her story closely the last few years, the drama, the sickness, the sadness. There was something sweet about this woman, maybe the soft voice, maybe the strength you felt behind that soft voice. I hope as the years pass, many will remember her for more than the poster, more than the hair, but for the actress she was.

Farrah is the most famous poster girl, but here are a few of my favorite Ladies of the Eighties (and seventies).


Susan Anton, Heather Locklear, Morgan Fairchild



Tanya Roberts, Heather Thomas, Loni Anderson



Cheryl Ladd, Charlene Tilton, Lynda Carter



Sherilyn Fenn, Catherine Back, Alyssa Milao

No comments: