Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kudos to James Cameron and Avatar



Like many of you I saw 'Avatar' this weekend. I must first say movies by James Cameron are hit and miss for me. I hated EVERY SINGLE THING about 'Titanic'. I did however love 'Terminator 2', 'The Abyss' and 'Aliens'. I also loved 'Avatar'.

You can read in almost any review of the film the beauty of the 3D, the amazing story and script. The wonderful performances (to me the highlight being Zoe Saldana). I will just add I loved seeing Sigourney Weaver on screen again, I loved Sam Worthington and I loved hearing one my favorite actress's of all time CCH Pounder. (there is just something special about her).

The movie said so much. Of course being a James Cameron film it said it about half hour more than was required. But... I understand why he did not want to edit anything more out. As much as I loved the movie I wish it had left me hopeful. I left feeling sad. Feeling sad that there is so little 'human' left in the human race. We have become such a greedy selfish bunch haven't we. 'Avatar' is of course science fiction. 'Avatar' is also sadly very real.


2 comments:

Darcy John said...

i like your post but question your opinion on Titanic?
It was so beautiful and stuck to so many facts.
Its such a nice potrait of an amazing/sad moment in life.
But you hate everything about it?? Even sweet old Gloria Stewart?
I mean come on

Tye said...

Darcy, I did HATE Titanic, but of course your right I did not hate everything. Gloria Stewart was wonderful (However due to my dislike of the movie, it flowed to poor Gloria by her final scenes). I think the movie was way over done and over blown just like Celine's love song. I wish Cameron had focused on the actual event and left the love story out, or at least did not focus it on it so much. I enjoyed some of the shots of the ship as it went down but just found the love story (in particular the scenes with Billy Zane) too soap opera like and it spoiled the good parts of the flick.