Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just Because: American Idol


Above: Ty Hemmerling

Just because I am so glad the auditions for American Idol are over. I know I have said it before but as much as love American Idol, I find the auditions to be one the cruelest spectacles on American television. The #1 show in America spends about 12 weeks showcasing young talent and about 4 weeks making fun of the poor, the mentally unstable, the deluded, the weak and the needy. I always question those who say the auditions are all they watch.

Got to give kudos to bikini boy (Ty Hemmerling) as given all the attention bikini girl got last year, it was a brilliant move to garner some screen time. Too bad American Idol loves to oogle and make sexist comments about the pretty girls, but...when there is a good looking guy the show they somehow make it seem perverted to focus on his attraction. Bikini girl got plenty of air time last year and a place on the finale, bikini boy had the 4 judges walking out in disgust. Funny, maybe (I admit I chuckled) but it reinforces the reputation that this show (dispute having had so many gay singers, Broadway themes and Simon and Ryan) is one of the most homophobic shows on television.

Maybe I take it all too seriously.... But give em hell Ellen!

Below: Casey James

1 comment:

Maureen said...

The Casey James segment was great. I was thinking "Go Kara!" Casey can really sing, and he's so cute too. Reminds me of Jason Lewis.
The bikini boy segment, however, was mean, indeed! It may have all been staged. They didn't even give him a chance to audition! Sometimes I'm embarrassed to admit I watch American Idol.