Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Just Because: Breaking the Fourth Wall with Timothy Olyphant



Just Because:

Although I love listening to DVD commentaries, sometimes I wish I had skipped them. I am not generally in favor of 'breaking the fourth wall' on television shows and movies. Somehow when a sit-com ends with a real moment, or a movie ends with bloopers, some of the magic is gone.

I remember when I listened to the DVD commentary for the first season of Gossip Girl. (A show I hailed in season 1, yet really have not enjoyed that much since). I was rather disgusted with the cast commentary. I am not a prude, but the cast (including some who were just 14 at the time) were swearing non stop and generally just being pretty stupid.

I felt this way again while listening to some recent commentaries on a favorite show of mine, Damages. Actor Timothy Olyphant who joined the show in season two unfortunately joined in on the commentaries and my thoughts on him have sadly permanently changed. I certainly did, and still do think of Mr. Olyphant as a good actor and a great looking guy. I can't however say I am a fan of him as a person any longer. I know, not really fair, we all have our bad days. Timothy didn't do or say anything that bad really but he was insulting enough (the word retard was thrown out and about) and was generally just not funny while trying to be. There is nothing sadder than someone failing so miserably at trying to be funny. I will still watch his movies, but I will skip any further 'commentary' on his part.

No comments: