Monday, March 29, 2010

Kudos to Ricky Martin



Yeah I know there will be tons of people mocking Ricky Martin, jokes about how long it took or that even Clay Aiken beat him to it...

But I am not one of them.

Until being gay doesn't deny you basic human rights like marriage, Until being gay doesn't mean you might risk losing family, Until being gay doesn't mean you might be the victim of hate crimes...Until some of these things change, coming out for some, can be a frightening thing.

It is easy for some, but can be difficult for others. We should not judge. I was late to the party myself.

Why are gay people the only population in the world who need to fucking 'come out' anyway. 'Coming out' is something we have turned into a pride thing, yet the fact we have to this to begin with it is part of the problem. It really...should not matter, isn't that the whole point of being who you are?


4 comments:

Matt said...

Great comments and perspective - and most appreciated!

CB said...

Tye, I totally agree! :)

Anonymous said...

100% in agreement!!
I am a fan of him as a person - as well as his music. He's a great guy and a super Dad to his gorgeous boys.
Bravo, Ricky!

Anonymous said...

I somewhat agree. The only thing I have to add is that Ricky Martin is a celebrity who needs to be a role model to the people who adore him. To me that means being out and not ashamed of it. Gay men and women need the exposure of out celebrities to further promote acceptance.