Monday, February 28, 2011

Who Would Have Thought... That 70's Show



For some reason the cast of That 70's Show were unintentionally themed throughout my posts for today. First off is my annual Oscar wrap up. I could just write it was pretty horrid but I will add a bit more below. (not a lot more, it really does not deserve much...)



When watching the Oscars I was struck by the beautiful and talented Mila Kunis. I am not sure anyone could have predicted when That 70's Show premiered in 1998 that it would be Kunis would end up getting some of the best roles after the show ended. Laura Prepon was so much more seasoned and strong in the shows first few seasons. You could literally see 'Jackie' run by poor 'Donna' as the show went on. As Prepon continues on television with guest starring roles and pilots that don't make it, Kunis has moved on to roles on the big screen.



If I were to give one Oscar to a cast member of The Black Swan, it would have been Mila Kunis. Natalie Portman obviously put her heart and soul into the role and acted her ass off but for some reason I have yet to see a Portman performance that does not fall flat at some point for me. If she were acting in silent films I would have given her the award, the anguish, confusion and pain expressed through her face and movements were incredible. Yet...when Portman speaks, her voice somehow cannot seem to act as well as her body. Her line delivery puts a very tiny crack in each performance I have seen her give. Kunis on the other hand was flawless in Swan and every moment, no matter how small was delivered to perfection.



During the run of the show I had crushes on both Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher. Both great looking guys who delivered solid performances week after week. Not sure then why it is then that when I see them credited in any film I usually avoid it. I have not seen either in anything I have actually enjoyed (admittedly most of their films I have skipped). Maybe it is that both left the sit com for movie roles and both, Grace in particular seem to have an overly inflated sense of their position in the business.

It was for this reason I had avoided watching Valentines Day. I loved Love Actually and many of Robert Altman's movies where huge casts and multiple stories are weaved together. I was worried Valentine's Day would not be more than a average episode of The Love Boat and I was not far off. Besides the cast (who included many other actors who annoy me like Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba and Jamie Foxx) the stories were just not that engrossing.

I was surprised by the Julia Roberts and Bradley Cooper reveals near the end and did enjoy being introduced to the adorable Carter Jenkins (see more below). Many must have loved the film as Garry Marshall is assembling much of the cast and many others for a what appears to be the exact same film only this time New Years Eve replaces Valentines as the theme.

Have to mention that although Danny Masterson and Wilmer Valderrama have not been in as many high profile pictures, both have been in some interesting projects. Now...if only Debra Jo Rupp could land a sit com worthy of her talent!

No comments: