Thursday, March 24, 2011

R.I.P Elizabeth



I am embarrassed to admit that I have never seen a Elizabeth Taylor film all the way through. I thought I had, I have seen so many clips of her on the screen that I sort of convinced myself I have seen certain movies that I have not. (The Flintstones of course does not count!).

I was still saddened by her death yesterday. My mother was a huge fan and I remember her sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and smoking when I was kid, talking to a friend about something or other in Taylor's personal life. I have followed Taylor through television, tv movies like North & South, Sweet Bird Of Youth and on shows like Hotel and Bob Hope Specials, saw her interview on everyone from Oprah through Larry King. Most importantly saw her front and center leading the fight against AIDS even before I really completely understood what AIDS Was. A true star (although I don't agree as many are saying the last one).

She gave so much and really seemed to enjoy being a celebrity and knew how to have fun with it. The one good thing about never having really seen a Taylor film is that I have so many in front of me. Today I ordered Butterfield 8 (1960) and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) (for which she won her two Oscars) from Amazon. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

11 comments:

Bobby F said...

First of all, welcome back!!

You are going to be amazed with her sailor-mouth in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen, it is almost exhausting. I have it and GIANT (it is long, but James Dean is in it!) and I also have SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH, it's a Tennessee Williams play that was turned into a teevee movie with her and Mark Harmon. If you like GIANT and want to see James Dean's other films, EAST OF EDEN and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE are must-haves. I had seen all three of his films separately when I was in high school in the 80s and now have the James Dean 3-pack that came out in 2005. Of the three, GIANT is my least favorite because it is so big.

Bobby F said...

Also...did you ever see her son Michael Wilding Jr. when he was on "Guiding Light" in the 80s? He was SO annoying!

Avenjer said...

I'd add "Suddenly last Summer"(with Montgomery Clift and Katherine Hepburn), "Cat on a hot tin roof" (with Paul Newman) and "the Taming of the Shrew" (with Richard Burton)to your list. And maybe the Agatha Christie murder mystery "the Mirror Cracked" (with Angela Landsbury, Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis and Kim Novak)---not the best telling of this story but Elizabeth shines in all her scenes.

Unknown said...

One of my favs is "These Old Broads" with Shirley Maclain, Debbie Reynolds, Joan Collins and Elizabeth Taylor. It was a small made for TV movie from about 10 years ago. She has a very small role, and was actually making fun of her image by playing up the stereo type of 'Elizabeth Taylor'. It is available on DVD, and on Netflix and Amazon.com

Littlestevie said...

It would be fun to watch National Velvet and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf as a double bill!!! She's perfect in both, and different not just from a few year's aging but in style and look and feel. Hmm. Or, if not Nat'l V., perhaps Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, for something almost the same time. BUtterfield 8, Cat, and Woolf are amazing performances, near the same time as each other, and show her range and various looks. Wow! Those 3 movies would make a fun rainy weekend's entertainment.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

She is at the height of her beauty in "Rebel Without a Cause". Absolutely Stunning. Also, "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" is wonderful. She pulls off an authentic southern accent better than any Hollywood wannabe...

Anonymous said...

Check out The Sandpiper, Taming Of The Shrew, Boom, The Comedians.

Les said...

"A Place in the Sun", "The Last Time I Saw Paris", "Giant". "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"."Suddenly, Last Summer", "Butterfield 8", Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, "The Taming of the Shrew" are all outstanding examples of Taylor at her best in different times of her career.

Brad said...

Taming of the Shrew - visually stunning and great fun but my favorite is Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. She and Burtan are so wrapped into those characters I get lost in it. I've seen it so many times I started watching it alone and drunk to add flavor.

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary Star / Person. The Most Beautiful Woman of the 20th. Century. May she Rest In Peace.

Brian said...

So hard to believe that it's a year since her death. I was lucky enough to meet her several times at charity events (to this day she remains my all time Star of stars)and she was all I could have hoped for,right down to her laugh. I have met many celebrities and in all honesty have never been "starstruck" until the first time I looked into those amazing eyes and immediately gushed/blurted out "I love you". Without missing a beat,she burst out laughing and said,"Yes,I have that effect on men" Several people actually dared ask to try on "The Ring" and of course I just had to do it as well. Such a great memory to have : )
Anyhoo....My all time favorite movie is Cleopatra and I watch it a couple times a year. Giant and Suddenly Last summer are absolutely 2 of her best. And Elephant walk is campy fun.