Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

When sitting down to write something about Mother's Day I don't think I can share my feelings any better than I did last year.


As someone whose family I was not born into, I have my own idea of what family is. (which is why I love the pic above). Almost anyone, or any animal for that matter, is capable of having sex and giving birth. In my world, mothers are not connected to birth or blood. Mothers are about who loves you, who nurtures you, who keeps you safe. Most importantly though, mothers are about whose voice is in your head. A good parent nags enough, yells enough, annoys enough to ensure their voices remain in there child's head for life. It is that voice that helps you treat others well, it is that voice that helps you make good choices, it is that voice that makes you feel safe and loved.

A good mother does this, even if at many times during your life you hate her for it. My mother did not birth me, but her voice, as well as my fathers, are strongly in my head helping me feel protected and loved. I know how lucky I am and am grateful every day for it.

Happy Mothers Day to you all, especially to those who did not have a mother, or have lost your mother. I wish for you that voice in your head!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant, there's no way to express it better.

Anonymous said...

Very well said!