Monday, June 20, 2011

GLEE: Spring Awakenings!



As Spring, like the Glee tour come to an end, (it's last couple of weeks are in London and Ireland), the cast will finally get a much deserved, although far too short, vacation. Although this season ended on an upswing I wanted to look back on two of my favorite characters. One I initially disliked and now love. The other began a favorite but is now barely watchable.

I resisted liking Darren Criss when he was introduced earlier in the season. His first episode and rendition of 'Teenage Dream' was an instant hit with fans. I am hit and miss on Katy Perry songs and Ryan Murphy chose to play with fans about who Kurt's new boyfriend would be (he most likely did not know) and I was not sure if Darren would stick around long enough to invest in. By the end of the season Criss' songs were the highlight's of many shows and the actor won me over. I hope the new writing team gives Blaine back the strength he displayed when he first came on the scene. Somehow by the end of the season the character seemed to morph into more of a Kurt twin, losing some of the dynamic qualities he had when first introduced.

Below: Got to love old shots showing up on tumblr


Jonathan Groff is a an amazing actor and singer and his rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody at the end of season one was phenomenal. This season however, Glee brought Groff's Jesse back with little to do, almost nothing to sing and a ruined character even Groff fans struggled to enjoy.



Glee is certainly top heavy with heroes, all the male cast members began as uinique and flawed, but all that singing and dancing has made them all, especially Puck, lose any edge they once had. Making Jesse a villian is not a bad idea, it was just one not very well thought out and not very well written. Creating a love triangle with such an unlikable character really brought nothing to the show. I hope Jesse returns at some point in the future with a decent story and songs worthy of his talent.

Below:
Jonathan & Lea in 'I Believe' From Spring Awakenings:
Such a beautiful and powerful scene.

1 comment:

BOBBY F said...

Being a serious devotee of SPRING AWAKENING, I treasure every moment Jonathan Groff is on "Glee". I do wish they had done something better with his character this year. His parts of Season One were some of the best.