Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kudos to Damages



Just finished the 3rd season of Damages and, like I did after watching season 2 I have to give praise to creators and writers Glenn Klesser, Todd A. Kessler and Daniel Zelman. Although season three took few episodes to hook me, it's pacing, smart writing and acting once again drew me in. Great to see Campbell Scott (son of the incredibly talented George C. Scott and Colleen Dewhurst) back in an acting role, Campbell has been steadily working but doing a bit of off camera work. I have to like a show that has me loving two actors I am not normally huge fans of. Martin Short and Lily Tomlin are comedy royalty but, (aside from a few SNL skits with Short) I have not been big fans of their ventures on the big screen. Both were riveting on Damages and I only wish there were more scenes with Lily whose character Marilyn Tobin is really a mystery in itself whose layers are ever so slowly and ever so smartly laid out over the course of the 13 episodes.



Rose Byrne and Glenn Close are excellent as always and it was nice to see Tate Donovan given material to shine. Tate, whose characters death is a central story point for the season, has been in many great projects but rarely with a character who stands out and shines. It is too bad just as the writers give him story I actually care about they kill him in a most humiliating way. Kudos to Damages! I hope the seasons closing scenes mean we will see more the talented Zachary Booth in season 4!

No comments: