Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thumbs Down: The Today Show


For the past four or five years, as I get ready for work each day, The Today Show has been in the background of my morning routine. The habit began after Katie Couric left the show (she annoys me sorry). I love Ann Curry, she has sadly been getting a bit of backlash lately and admittedly she was better beside Meredith Vierra instead of being forced to be her, but I still think she is one of the most impressive women on any of the network news shows. If you give any credit to The Kinsey Scale, my gay numbers go down dramatically when Natalie Morales is on the air. She is pleasant, intelligent and quite simply HOT. My score numbers dip even further down when Savannah Guthrie is on. I have a massive crush on Savannah and love watching her maneuver her way through three of the most annoying people on the show. (Those 'experts' Nancy Snyderman, Star Jones and ego inflated Donnie Deutsch).


But thumbs down to The Today Show for their overreaction to Katie's GMA Appearance. First off, as her nightly news number proved, there is not the audience for Katie there once was. Secondly, there knee jerk reaction to having Sarah Palin come on for the morning was both insulting to loyal viewers and to Sarah as well. Television shows have yet to learn that stunts to pull in new viewers often backfire by alienating old viewers and this week for the first time I have considered switching to CBS. I think Ryan Seacrest is one of the best hosts on TV, but I don't want to see him on a news show early in the morning... The Today Show had no need to pull out the big guns this week, a smart producer would have continued on status quo. By reacting so strongly they opened up their insecurities for all to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you just said. Ann Curry is a great newswoman but terrible as a morning host. She has no charisma. Natalie Morales and Guthrie ooze charisma and keep me glued to the TV. When I saw Sarah Palin on there my once enjoyable TV watching experience while I'm getting ready to head out the door for work was instantly soured. Her spouting off about the "lamestream" media and Matt Laur's obvious dislike for her (so much passive aggressiveness) was enough to get me to leave for work a little early that day.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

I have watched Today most mornings while getting ready (or even recorded it to scan through later) but I skipped Tues. & Wed. due to Palin & Seacrest and actually watched GMA. Liked Ann better before she took over as co-host. She just doesn't come across well in that position,not cold exactly but just slightly "off" and no real warmth. Allegedly now that Matt has signed his new contract,he wants Ann out and replaced by Guthrie.