Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beyond The Temple: HOMELAND



Claire Danes was built for television. Her skill and complexity as an actress need the time that a tv series allows. In movies, I find it difficult to connect ot her characters, but on television Danes shines. It seems for the past 10 years (I know it was only 1, but it seemed like much more), the only place I saw Danes was on award shows, accepting awards, and giving shout outs out to the woman she won them for, Temple Grandin. I never saw the movie, it felt like saw enough, and knew enough about her from all her appearances on the red caret.



I am loving Danes return to television as the bi-polar operations officer Carrie Mathison on Homeland. Thanks to a friends recommendation, I am five shows in to the shows first season. Danes and co-star Damian Lewis are electric and the writing is smart, funny and often terrifying. Lewis is an incredible combination of heartbreaking, disturbed and intensely scary and scenes of his capture and torture are both difficult to watch, and impossible to miss. If you have not caught Homeland, or if like me, the subject matter has kept you away, I strongly recommend you give it a shot.



Damian Lewis





Mandy Patinkin


I am a huge fan of Mandy Patinkin the singer and Patinkin the stage actor. On television however his track record is to leave shows mid way through their run. Hoping he bucks this trend on Homeland. Patinkin is perfect as Saul, the mentor with an strong but slightly unhealthy relationship to Danes' Carrie.

Below: Patinkin in Yentl (1983)

2 comments:

Rick said...

Mandy is so talented but I think he's a coconut.

Unknown said...

AWESOME show!