Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Spoiled?


Except for those idiots who feel the need to post the results, or the winners ,of live show competitions I really don't mind spoilers. I guess maybe I am in the minority, but with the exception of reality shows and sports I actually often seek them out, especially for prime time dramas.


Countess Violet:
'You Americans never understand the importance of tradition.'

Martha Levinson:
'Yes we do, we just don’t give it power over us.'


Downton Abbey returned to North American television screen last night to it's largest audience to date. It also returned, except for those who found a way to avoid them, with spoilers galore. It amazes me that PBS has yet to find a way to air the British drama at the same time as it's UK counterpart, but those most devoted have found numerous online ways to watch the series along with the rest of the world.


Although I knew most of the big events prior to watching, I still really enjoyed most of season 3, especially Dan Stevens, whose Matthew really is ahead of his time, and ahead of so many men, even in 2013. I have been very critical of Shirley MacLaine's brief stint, but re-watching her again Sunday as night was not as painful as the first time. The plus side to her awkward two episode appearance was it gave Maggie Smith extra opportunities to make more of her memorable quotes. One of season 3' high points for me was Thomas and a more direct storyline involving his sexuality. Rob James-Collier is always great to watch and although I usually love to hate Thomas, I really felt his pain and loneliness and what it must have been like trying to find love being gay in the 20's. Rob has a great interview in which he discus's Thomas' love life, in the latest issue of Out Magazine which you can read HERE:

Rob's appearance in Shameless UK

One of the big questions this season is whether Thomas will succeed in getting into the new footman's breeches!


The new footman Jimmy, is played by the beautiful Ed Speleers who turns many heads in the servants quarters!




No comments: