Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Dishy Vicar


Downton Abbey may have brought a few new viewers to PBS but it has been one of my favorite channels since I was a kid. Not just for the incredible children's programming, but before TV on DVD and before there were a zillion channels, it was the only place I could watch British comedies. PBS introduced me to Are You Being Served, The Vicar Of Dibley and I think my favorite, Keeping Up Appearances. Unlike the US reality show with Keeping Up in the title, this show was inhabited with people with actual talent.


The entire cast is great, but Patricia Routledge as Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet!!!)is a hilarious and so wonderfully annoying. Most of the cast spend each show trying to avoid Hyacinth, including Michael, the towns Vicar. Michael also has to avoid Hyacinth's sister Rose, who is hot for any guy in pants, even the married Vicar.


English actor Jeremy Gittins plays the Vicar, whom Rose has nicknamed The Dishy Vicar. Gittins, most certainly dishy, has been a fixture on British television since the 80's appearing on shows like Dr. Who, Footballers Wives, EastEnders and Midsomer Murders.


2 comments:

Scot said...

I can deal with Hyacinth for anout 10 minutes. Then I want to smack the shit out of her!

SouthernMen said...

Oh my goodness... I thought i was the only pervert with a thing for the Vicar!!