Friday, May 24, 2013

Something About... Eric Nelsen


All My Children was never a soap I ever really watched when it aired on ABC. With the odd exception of an episode or two when home sick, or over a Christmas holiday when a kid, my main reference to the show was Susan Lucci. I was sad however when the show, along with it's sister soap One Life To Live, were cancelled. L


Soaps have a rich history and I found it sad to see them all being replaced by the likes of the horrid Dr.Phil and hours upon hours of people, most who know nothing of what they are talking about, taking, over the afternoon airwaves. Life is hard these days and escaping into a soap seems a much gentler way than being yelled at and lectured to by the loud voices from THE Talk, THE View, THE Chew, THE Doctors and all the other shows featuring opinionated loud mouths who for the most part, have no real reason to be sharing their views.


I was happen then to learn the soaps were returning, online, and in some places actually back on the air. Although I cannot say I am watching, I did DVR the first episode of both, and the first few of All My Children. AMC got a few extra viewing due to actor Eric Nelsen. There is just something about him, angry yes, and also a bit annoying, but all in a hot little package. The new soap seems proud of the freedoms it earned not being part of a network. It seems to enjoy throwing out and overusing 'Ass Hole' and 'Pussy' every scene or two. Thankfully, it also throws out quite a bit of skin, and Eric was stripped down in the first two episodes, losing his towel not once, but twice, in one of his first scenes.


Eric has been a fixture on stage for years, including on Broadway in The Great Pursuit. Eric was also rumoured to have been the first actor to play Eric van der Woodsen on Gossip Girl. Once the show found out he was only 15, he lost the role to Connor Paolo. Not sure Eric is enough to have been recording every day, but he will have me keeping an eye on AMC.

Below: With co-star Daniel Covin

All My Children (Prospect Park, Episode 1)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a fan of AMC and OLTL well over a decade ago but it always seemed like my mom's soap so as I got a little older I stopped watching them. I then started watching Days, Passions, AW, ATWT, and GL. I can't believe how many soaps have bit the dust for the mess that is on now. I wish FOX and CW would get into the daytime soap genre. CW does a great job with the primetime soaps so I'm sure they could put out an exciting daytime soap.

-Chris