Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Tony's: comme ci, comme ça


The Tony's are always my favorite award show, mostly because of the window the show lets us have into what is currently playing on Broadway. This years show was good, but could have been better. The opening number was big, but also rather spastic, trying to throw in everything possible to wow and impress. I know I am most likely the only gay man (or person in general) in America who does not love Neil Patrick Harris, but I don't. I won't bore you with my why reasons again, but I am not a fan. I am however still able to see his talent as a song and dance man, and as usual, Harris did a great job. My favorite number was his salute to actors who have left the stage for the tube with Broadway vets Laura Benanti, Andrew Rannells and Megan Hilty. (shown below)


My issue with this years Tony show was that with the exception of Kinky Boots, it was not an especially original or stellar year for the musical. In the past, the Tony's would showcase performances from both musicals and plays. This year, the show reduced showing excerpts from plays to a speed read introduction by Jesse Eisenberg. Jesse went so fast, you would have thought someone had a boiling hot cattle prod ready to poke him with if he didn't finish quickly.

Below Jane Lynch in Annie

Although I like the music from Pippin, there is something lacking every time I see a performance from the show. Patina Miller is great, but sometimes I wish that cattle prod behind Eisenberg might give her a poke to rev up her energy just a bit. Most of the other shows were more family friendly shows that although great, don't pack the same emotional musical punch a show like Next To Normal can. I missed that emotional punch this year. There just didn't seem to be the risky, more edgier shows that I am usually attracted to.

Reeve Carney and Spidermen

On the up side, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed Jane Lynch. Glee doesn't really allow her to sing much, but she can belt with the best of them. Who can help but smiling watching Luke Spring dancing in A Christmas Story. I am really glad Kinky Boots won, it took me a few listens to love the Soundtrack, but the message, no to mention the production, was a highlight of this Broadway season.

Luke Spring & Caroline O'Connor A Christmas Story

It is funny, I still love to listen to old Soundtracks, but there is something a bit odd, and depressing, seeing older Tony winning show characters on the show. It is time to retire showing the cast of Jersey Boys, Mama Mia and Chicago on the show. It is like seeing someone that graduated high school walking down the hall at school. They deserve to be there, but you can't help wondering why they are doing there... These shows need to lay low for a bit in order for us to miss them.

Stark Sand & Billy Porter Kinky Boots

2 comments:

Bobby F said...

I cannot look at Stark Sands and not remember him lusting after Jason Priestley's footlong sausage in DIE, MOMMIE, DIE! And then there was Stark's beautiful naked ass in the film, too.

Bobby F said...

And I don't think this is the first year when the Best Play nominees were excluded from live performances. I was bemoaning this on Facebook the other night.