Sunday, July 14, 2013

Thrills, Kills & Donna Brazile


I heard nothing about Sharknado prior to it's airing. Saw no ads, no magazine previews or reviews. Saw nothing about Tara Reid even actually getting another acting job. But that changed when the television movie aired this past Thursday on the Sci-Fi Network.


The person who turned me on to Sharknado, was not an actor (although she was on The Good Wife) or anyone involved with the show's promotion. It was political analyst and Vice Chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee Donna Brazile whose twitter feed had me asking what the hell exactly was this Sharknado?


'And I thought mosquitoes were bad. #sharknado stand down!'
Donna Brazile


My love and respect for Ms Brazile, and her witty sense of humour, had me searching my tv for another airing. Thankfully there were many and I managed to find an airing to DVR that I watched when I returned home late last night.


The movie stars underachievers Tara Reid Ian Ziering. Reid still cannot act her way out of a paper bag, but Ziering seemed in on the joke and gave it his all. Surrounded by James Dean wannabe's on 90210, Ian never got the attention he deserved. Ziering always had a strong sexual aura, never so apparent as when he struts that sexy walk of his, across the screen.


Sharknado was bad, really bad. Cheesy dialogue, cheap looking special effects and more implausibilities than Tara Reid's acting career. Yet, it worked. It was addictive and fun and during the movies climatic last act I laughed more than I did at any comedy motion picture in years. It was horribly enjoyable!


Now Ziering has been quoted this week saying that he hopes Sharknado could be his Pulp Fiction and although I thought that funny at first, he may be onto something. I always thought Pulp Fiction was a bit overrated and found watching this two hours a much more pleasant experience.


If Ziering is hoping that this flick might lead him to more future work, then maybe he is right. Given his next two movies are titled: Biker Mice from Mars and Snake and Mongoose Ziering might be onto something by bringing back the summer B movie blockbuster! Good or bad, I look forward to the Sharknado sequel. The only thing that could make it better would re-casting Reid with the equally talented thespian, Ziering's 90210 co-star Shannen Doherty.

Above: Ian with James and Jaymes and the men of Chippendales!

Ziering in No Way Back (1995)

No comments: