Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Furious Frenzy


I can't say I have been a huge fan of actor Paul Walker on the big screen. Although I enjoyed some of his films, loved one, (Eight Below) when I think of Paul, I think of watching television as a kid. I remember being 9 or 10 crushing over him on Throb (if you don't remember the show, you'll remember the opening credit song HERE:) I also remember in high school watching him on The Young and The Restless during vacations and breaks. Walker had a calmness, a humanity that came through his work, even when in big screen blockbusters his charm balanced things out and he helped keep his films grounded even with all the emoting (Vin...) going on around him.


Sadly, almost as disturbing as his tragic death was how it played out with TMZ and on social media. TMZ, the Hyena/Vulture hybrid of the media world was virtually salivating at shaking up a quiet Saturday night. Seems, as with those at TMZ, when a celebrity dies many of us revert to the old roles we carried in high school. The keeners just HAVE to get the news out first. Even without proper sources you could see the throngs turning into Anderson Cooper's desperate to be the first to share the horrible news. Just because one has a Twitter or facebook account does not make one a reporter, nor a news source. I know some (not all) were earnest, fans of Paul in shock, wanting to share with others but there was still something quietly unsettling about it. Then the bickering began between those so sure it was true to those having a more difficult time accepting it. 'Hoax, no real' went back and forth as if it were a game of tag. Then of course came out the class clowns, thinking how clever they were to connect a man's death with the title from one of his movies. The 'the original' joke began from the first drop of blood in the water and never really let up. Social media is a wonderful way to pull together, especially during a crises. Sadly, it also provides a forum for many, not just learn about, not just to discuss, but to also actively participate themselves in the drama. I am not above it, I often revert to my high school persona as well, distancing and watching but waiting to share my feelings until it becomes safe. Social media makes 'safe' a thing of the past.

R.I.P Paul Walker


2 comments:

Bobby F. said...

I first saw Paul in MEET THE DEEDLES then in VARSITY BLUES (which was filmed near Austin) but I fell in love with him while watching SKULLS. I never did care to see any of his racecar films, he always seemed much more talented than to be outdone by speedy cars. We have lost a talent that never got to fully realize his true potential. Maybe this will awaken some actors who are holding themselves back in exchange for cookie-cutter box office success.

JiEL said...

I didn't scroll down to see your tribute to Paul Walker...

I loved Paul Walker in the movie «Into the Blue» with Jessica Alba...

Lot of scenes where we could appreciate his gorgeous body and marvelous blue eyes..

RIP Paul Walker..
Died too soon at 40yo.