Friday, February 14, 2014

Norm Lewis: You Should Be Loved


I loved actor and singer Norm Lewis even before I knew his name or what he looked like. Back in 1997 over just 91 performances, Sideshow ran it's short run on stage at the Richard Rogers Theatre on Broadway. I was about 21 at the time and although never caught the show, I did catch a performance by stars Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner Rosie O'Donnell's talk show.


The performance impacted me enough to seek out the official Broadway recording of the show and played it endlessly at the time. I love the show's entire score, but one song in particular, You Should Be Loved became my favorite. The song, and singers powerful voice made it a favorite and one I used at most of my auditions at the time. I long ago misplaced or lost the CD, but picked up another last week and again have been transported into the world Daisy and Violet's Side Show.




This time, I read the inserts more carefully, identifying the man behind the voice of my favorite song. Norm Lewis has had a celebrated Broadway career, maybe known to many recently for his turn in the revival of Porgy and Bess. To me however, I will always be thankful for his powerful turn as the lovelorn Jake.

Below with Nick Adams at Broadway Bares 2009.




No comments: