Monday, August 31, 2015

Paul Richmond: Summer Read


A big part of my summers as a child was always reading. Without school or homework, there was time to dive into worlds that came alive in my imagination. With school closed, the only quick access to books for me was the book mobile. The Library was about an hour away, and I was lucky to get in there even once over the summer. The book mobile, came every Friday afternoon from 3:30pm-5:30pm in the parking lot of my elementary school. From Archie digests through The Hardy Boys and Danny Dunn, I couldn't wait for that book mobile to arrive on Friday afternoons.


Book covers were always the first reason to pick up a novel and read the synopsis on the back cover. One of the best parts of reading as a kid was staring at the cover at different points during reading connecting the visual to the written word. Sadly, I didn't have cover illustrations from artist Paul Richmond, if I had, I might never have turned out my light at night. Here are a few of my favorite of Paul's cover illustrations, covers that have me wanting to buy the book for my next trip to the beach or cottage.









No comments: