Thursday, December 24, 2015

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree, How richly God has decked thee!



When you read this, I will be surrounded by my ageing and very stubborn parents. Also my sister, my brothers, only one of whom I really like, as well as a few sister-in-laws and a nephew and niece I love to death. As I write this however, Christmas is still 4 days away and I am home on my couch with CNN on the television. Every year, I wish all the readers of FH a peaceful Christmas with moments. Those moments aren't about how many people are around you or how many gifts you get, they are about how you choose to spend the day. As much as I love my family, I often long for a Christmas without the family, something I know I will regret when that day actually comes. I have spent one Christmas alone, after a blizzard forced me to turn around on my way to my families and get off the highway and head back home. I didn't enjoy it.


I have always thought that for me, Holidays are really more about foreplay. The teasing and preparing for the big O that is the 25th. I love when the Christmas commercials start coming on tv, when the Grinch cartoon airs and when I have a night at home when I can pour a glass of wine and put in Love Actually. I love my work secret Santa, the lights all around my house and getting together with some of my close friends who I only get to see very often except when they come home for Christmas. I love planning what gifts I want to give, and how my family and friends might react when they open them. I also love hunting down holiday images to feature on FH.


Readers either love or loath my holiday extravaganzas, but like Christmas, it comes whether you want them or not... This year, I couldn't have been more grateful for all the visual gifts that I received. Gordon Nebeker has always been extremely generous, sharing with myself and FH. Gordon has shared so many of his images and so many stories about his work, process and how models have ended up in front of his camera. While Gordon was shooting Mr. Herzog last month, both model and photographer took time out of their shoot to capture a few holiday images exclusively for FH readers.


I think we all would love to sit in our most comfy chair, watching and enjoying our own Mr. Herzog trim and top our Christmas tree. Thanks to Gordon and Mr. Herzog for the perfect Christmas gift!  For all of you reading this today, whether surrounded by family or friends, or home alone. I hope regardless of how well the big O came off, you all had a month full of satisfying foreplay!

No comments: