Sunday, January 1, 2017

Gerry by Brett Kiellerop: Outtakes & Behind the Scenes


'It all seemed to fall into place.'


So....now that you've read the story of how Gerry came to step in front of Brett's lens for shoot, and seen the visual results, it's time to get another perspective...Gerry's. Given his connection to Brett and David, and that it was his first ever time modeling, I threw Gerry a few questions about what that first time was like. Questions about how he felt before and during the shoot, and after seeing the final images. How or if it, impacted how he see's himself physically and what, if any, were his boundaries for the shoot.


'With the subject of modelling, I had thought about doing something for a while but I just wasn't sure how to get my foot in the door or even knew of a place to start. I had met Brett through my fiance, and had known him for a while before I approached him, as I had seen some of his previous work and liked the style of photos that he took. I was lacking confidence in my body image, so originally I had the idea that the photo shoot could possibly help my self esteem, that and I was/still am looking for a career change. It was originally an optimistic outlook but the first shoot gave me a goal to reach for, so I restarted my training at the gym and went all out to put on as much muscle as I could beforehand.'


'We originally didn't set a date for the shoot, we usually would catch up once a week for coffee and brunch, mainly just to chat and talk over the working week and potential ideas for the shoot. It didn't take long before the idea of a photo shoot seemed quite normal, so one day, we just set up the set and snapped some photos. Originally there were the usual issues, like trying to find the right pose, getting the lighting right etc. But after a few photos were taken, I started to get into a rhythm. Then everything seemed easier.'


'Even when we did the shirtless photos, it all seemed to fall into place. The behind the scenes photos from the first shoot you saw, I was doing an interview with David, about what it was like starting into modelling, and that was a bit of fun. The original boundaries I set was no full frontal photos, mainly due to the fact that Brett and David are my fiance's godparents, however, Brett did say that he doesn't look at the photos he takes in a sexual manner, just as art, but we ended up setting that underwear would be the boundary to start with.'


'The second shoot we did went well. I just found it easier to see the kind of look Brett was going for, so it was much easier to get into the flow of things. Plus, all the photos were being taken in front of stacks of people, but I didn't feel self conscious at all, I just felt..... great. Then there was the highly anticipated underwear shoot... Wow, I had NEVER felt so self conscious to start. Right up to when I dropped my pants I didn't have any nerves, as soon as I was in front of the camera, I got them in a big hurry. But as usual, after the first few photos were taken, I started to feel normal again, and thought it was the best time to have fun with it, and I think that can be seen in some of the BTS photos. I actually had a lot of fun with that shoot, and it made me realize that it doesn't all have to be serious.'


'I hope to be modelling some more in the future, I'm just not sure what yet. But I definitely want to work with Brett again, because we know eachother, and its just so much easier to have a good time and a good shoot when the model and photographer can take the piss out of each other. Hopefully, with a little more exposure, I can start to build up a diverse portfolio and appeal to more photographers, but I guess we'll just wait and see. In the new year I plan on approaching more people, just to see what it's like. As far as dream scenarios for a shoot? I'm not too sure yet. I've got a few ideas swirling around at the moment, all a little bit cheeky and outrageous, but just that little bit sexy. I think I know the photographer that can make that happen too...'


We look forward to asking for seconds!



No comments: