Saturday, December 5, 2009

Kudos to Rupert Everett



I have been surprised reading so many gay people being so critical of Rupert Everett's recent comments about coming out in Hollywood. Personally I tend to agree with almost everything he said. People keep taking about others (mostly Neil Patrick Harris) who have come out and remained successful.

I really can't think of 1 gay movie actor who is doing well. Television is a different ball game all together. (although Adam Lambert might disagree). Rupert goes on to say he is happy he came out, and can be who he is, but his assertion that coming out hurt him in Hollywood to me is simply factual. Unless your playing a gay role, and we all know there are not many of those in studio driven movies, there is not much a gay actor can do except maybe a sit-com or a talk show. Kudos for Rupert for getting the debate going. With the New York vote this week and the Adam Lambert story, I think it was well timed and true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rupert Everett is against same sex marriage...are you going to give him kudos for that, too? The man is a disgusting whiner who cries victim way too often and I'm getting tired of these quarterly tirades to remind us how miserable he is. He refuses to accept any responsibility for his short-comings as an actor. If he was talented enough, he would find a way to create the work he wants. He gets no good roles because he just isn't that great of an actor. Did you even see THE NEXT BEST THING? Ugh.
--Bobby

Tye said...

Ahh Bobby, I see your point. But..I loved some of his early work like 'Another Country'. He is a whiner, but at the same time I think he has a right to be a bit bitter. Your other comments aside, I still agree with his comments about gay actors and the movie business. I don't want anyone in the closet, but Hollywood has yet to allow an openly gay man to be a big success in movies. This is simply a fact.

Anonymous said...

Well, until gay men in Hollywood are honest about who they really are, the marginization will continue. Gay men are VERY successful in music and stage and television. Until all of these movie star closet cases come to terms with who they are and come out, gay movie actors will continue to suffer.
--Bobby (again)

Tye said...

Sorry Bobby, must disagree with you there. Movies are a different story. In a week of Adam Lambert Hollywood is not as liberal as it claims. A movie star coming out right now might make us feel good, but it would be a dumb move career wise. Just the way it is. I don't like it, I don't support it, but I do...understand it.