Monday, December 12, 2011

Kudos to Weekend Update



There was a time when I watched SNL (especially on DVR) when the least funny part of the show was weekend update. My fast forward button usually worked overtime during this segment, especially in the 90's.



This past Saturday weekend update was the only part of the show that drew laughs. Despite her success in the sketch last year when she was the musical guest, Katy Perry failed to deliver much this time. The writing did not help, but there are some people who come off better in small doses. I don't even remember the musical guest (after the first few seconds I skipped on by).



Weekend update however was hilarious. Starting with Kristin Wig's 'flirt' followed by Alec Balwin and topped off by Stefon (Bill Hader's Stefon has been funnier but anytime he appears is welcomed). Seth Myers has turned a low point into pretty much the only point in watching lately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way about it. I used to hate Weekend Update but it became one of my favorite segments when Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon started doing it. Love it even more with Seth Meyers. I also thought the Alec Baldwin and Flirty girl segments were hilarious. Didn't care much for the Stefon bit. It was funny the first time but has quickly become annoying. Time to retire that character. Still love Bill Hader.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

I do agree. I sometimes go to bed right after that segment is over. Love the Stefan character...

Anonymous said...

I actually enjoyed the whole show. I was glad Robyn was the musical guest; she is awesome and makes way better pop music than perry. But I agree that this weekend update was great. The best for me was Wiig and her flirting...

Anonymous said...

Good observation.

It seems Weekend Update is the only part of the show with semi-good writing anymore. The show requires CHARACTERS (and some creative writing) ... Kristen Whig and Seth Meyers are two of the few left. The rest of the show seems to have farmed out its writers from sixth grade.

The show seems to be riding on past success.