Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dreaming Politically correctly



If it were the 1950's or 60's it would be cool to call The Glee Project's Blake Jenner Dreamy! I know it is 2012 so using the word moves from cool to lame, but I cannot really think of a better word to use. So freaking cute, sweet to all those around him and incredibly talented. Consider me crushing...



Now Blake may not the best singer in the group, nor the best dancer, but he might be up there for best actor. What he has is that star quality that you know (and Ryan Murphy knows...) that one has when you see it. A killer grin, and a face and body that is lapped up lovingly by every tv camera the reality show puts on him. My question is what is Blake doing on this reality show. He has a few credits to his name and it is curious as to why a soap opera, a boy band, a tv show has not already scooped him up. Whether he wins or not, it is not to early to predict Blake will be walking the halls of McKinley High School next fall.



What ruins The Glee Project a bit for me this season is the casting. Now I try to be a kind person, hate all thing cruel, but lets be real... in an attempt to cover what seems to be every disenfranchised sector of the teen scene, the producers have brought together an odd, and often annoying mix. I am ALL for inclusion, but besides every possible culture and body type, the show felt the need to throw in a Muslim, a blind contestant, a girl in a wheelchair, a transgendered youth and a rather confusing female Justin Bieber wannabee.



Now let me be clear, I applaud the casting of each and everyone of these talented young performers. I think however, the casting of ALL of them together was a bit much. When you watch a reality show you want to love some, hate some and root for your favorite. It is not really that fun hating on someone with a physical challenge, no matter how annoying (Mario...) that person might be. I always thought the goal was to have differences not impact one's success, but by spotlighting them the way this show has, it sort of hovers somewhere between beautiful inclusion and manipulative exploitation...



No comments: