Tuesday, July 17, 2012

R.I.P Encyclopedia Brown



It seems lately the actors, singers and writers who made up the fabric of my upbringing are leaving this earth at a faster and faster rate. One of those, I felt most connected to was author Donald Sobel, or maybe more so, his character Encyclopedia Brown. When I was growing up in the 80's, most of the books (and clothes, and toys) in my home all came from older cousins. It was tradition for family members to pass on everything to the younger members of the family. I can thank my cousin David for passing on to me the Encyclopedia Brown series. The magic of Encyclopedia, and his good friend Sally was that they were not superstars, or sports heroes, but were special because of their brains. In Sobel's books, it was not the jock or the cheerleader you wanted to follow, but the crime solving nerd who drew your attention, guiding you through one mystery after another.

No comments: