Monday, September 3, 2012

It Don't Matter If It's Black & White



I hate to admit it, but I do have to fess up to having a prejudice. Having been born in the 70's I have rarely taken the time to watch movies made before my birth. For some reason, anything created before my existence never really tweaked my attention. The odd Christmas special or yearly viewing of The Sound Of Music notwithstanding, my film viewing was narrowly current.

The Abominable Snowman (1957)

When Elizabeth Taylor died I remember being shocked that as many scenes of hers I had seen, I had not actually watched any of her movies. Someone I respect suggested a few films and the last couple of weeks I have abandoned technicolor for the wonderful world of black and white. First up was Portrait Of Jennie followed by The Haunting and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I loved all three and cannot believe I spent so many years avoiding such visual masterpieces. So many things are so much clearer in black and white, including the music which works more closely with the actors and the story to create the mood.

Portrait of Jennie (1948)

It really strikes me watching older movies that I am watching actors. I still love me some Channing Tatum, but so many of today's movies are headlined by personalities, not skilled thespians. You have to wonder if someone like Julie Harris would ever be cast today or would the studio have shoved in a Miley Cyrus or Jennifer Lopez.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

I know there were trash movies made in every era, and just being old doesn't mean better, but... for now I am enjoying my weekly trips back to black and white.

The Haunting (1963)

5 comments:

Bobby F said...

Tye, I, too, was born in the 70s...1970, to be exact. And, like you, I used to never watch anything made before I was born. Then, I finally started listening to the buzz still going on about James Dean in my late teens. He changed everything for me.

If you want to see an amazing Elizabeth Taylor movie, I highly suggest WHOSE AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? Amazing film.

Tye said...

Bobby, yes, I did watch several Taylor movies after that post, loved Virginia Woolf!

Anonymous said...

I love old black and white movies. The best being made by director David Lean. You have to watch his 3 best movies: Blithe Spirit, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

The Haunting is one of my favorites. I love how it relays on suspense instead of gore to make it scary.
I was happy to see it on your list & glad to see you enjoyed it.

Paul said...

I am a huge fan of lots of black & white movies, especially The Letter with Bette Davis and anything with Barbara Stanwyck. I am also a huge fan of that naked guy with the frame - what a total honey bunny!