Sunday, December 16, 2012

Process


I am sure most of you have heard the saying that 'It's not where you end up but its how you got there.' Lately I have been trying to get my head around exactly what it means, not literally, but it's meaning to me and how I live my life.


I always said that FH is about story. It is not enough for me to simply post images. I am not sure exactly what those who have tumblr pages actually get from it. Yes, I know hot images of naked guys might be enough for many, but after a minute or two they frustrate me. Pages and pages of uncredited images just drive me crazy as when I see an image that has me stop and take a closer look, I always want to know who shot it, who the model is and what the concept behind it was.


I guess I am stuck as a three year old, annoying others with 'why' questions. I have discovered over the last year that story, really isn't what I am after, I thought it was, but working on the blog the past year has had me discover my quest is more specific. I think it began with Robert J Guttke. I spent a lot of time working with Robert last year on pieces for FH and tMf magazine. When asking Robert about his work, he had more than story, he had perspective on process. How outstanding images came to be, what first inspired them, brought them to life and led to the finished work we are all right clicking and saving to our hard drives.


Robert gave me incredible start to finish accounts of how a particular photos were created. These accounts were as fascinating and stimulating as the image itself. It helped define what my purpose with FH is. Providing readers who enjoy the blog with information about process, information that makes those who don't just scroll by it be glad that they stopped to read. Text that doesn't just provide breaks between images but stories that actually add to the pleasure that can be enjoyed by an image. I don't always succeed of course, most times I fall short. But if the final image is the destination, chronicling the process is for me the journey.


Today, I explore the process featuring two diverse, yet equally talented, artists. Photographer Angus Malcolm, whose work I have featured regularly on FH. His process of creating breathtaking images of the male form has never been as fascinating to watch as it is with his work with the Warwick Rowers. I only recently discovered the work of artist and painter Felix d'Eon, whose work you see showcased in this post. Although Felix is a photographer, his end goal is not a photo, his destination is a drawing or painting. I have become totally captivated with his images detailing his creation process, the behind the scenes, on set, account of the experience of both artist and model. Felix's process images, are exactly what I try to do with text, when putting together a feature for the blob.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It has always been the "what's behind the photos" that keeps me coming to your blog. Even though I also run what's pretty much a "picture" blog, I always dig and search to identify the model and photographer. Even that much information gives you the tools to search for more information about someone that catches your interest. I neither have the writing skills or connections that you have, so your blog is where I go not only to see wonderful photos but to be informed. Thank you for your efforts and hard work.

Walt

Unknown said...

I've liked your blog because of the story behind the photography and I like the story behind the art even more. The posts about Mr. Deon reveals his process of how he incorporates the figure into a drawing or painting. I appreciate your writing about the subject.