Monday, January 14, 2013

Blast From The Past For January 15th: Mark Harmon


I have not seen Mark Harmon in much recently. Don't hate me, but I have not seen an entire episode of NCIS ever. For some reason I equate with Matlock or any other show my parents always have on, volume blaring loudly when I visit.


I still however love Mark Harmon. I think I first saw Harmon as bad boy doctor on St. Elsewhere. (See my previous posts featuring The Men From St. Elsewhere HERE:) I think the first time I sat up and paid attention when when I was about 11 or 12 and say Mark on screen and caught a brief glimpse of butt as he got it on with Meg Ryan in The Presidio.


I went on to lust after Harmon, and his great furry chest, in various television shows and movies but I think my favorite Harmon role to date was in Stealing Home. This film is one of Jodie Foster's (See next page) most underrated movies, and never ceases to make me think every time I watch. Harmon is at his movie star best in the movie and watching Jodie Foster at The Golden Globes last night had me want to see yet again one of my favorite of her films.


Harmon may not have been able to maintain his presence on the big screen, but he is undeniable one of the televisions biggest, and most popular stars. Harman has a gigantic fan base, mostly of women, of ages. There are few actors who reach some levels of fame on television not because of talent and the characters they play. Harmon never found a character quite like Larry Hagman did with J.R or Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker. Instead, he reached the icon standing because of what he represents to his fans. There is a likability that Harmon exudes, much like actors Richard Dean Anderson and Nathan Fillion, that resonates with those who watch that makes them want to follow him from role to role and show to show.


Many people watch certain shows because they like the mode of storytelling, many people watch Mark Harmon shows because they simply like Mark Harmon.

St. Elsewhere (1983-1986)

Saturday Night Live (1987)

Sweet Bird Of Youth (1989)

The Presidio (1988)

Fourth Story (1991)


No comments: