Monday, January 21, 2013

Just Because: Inauguration Day

The mis-step with the bangs aside, although I a bigger supporter of Hillary, I truly admire and respect the Obama family. This morning however, as I watched their arrival for the service at St. John's Episcopal Church, I could not help but be a bit distracted by the Presidents gum chomping. I know it is a small thing, but I could not help but wonder why Obama did not get rid of it before getting out of the car to greet the Bishop. Such a small thing I know, but it drew my focus away from the majesty of the event. It had me again thinking about those bangs and love em or hate em (I don't like them), such small, unimportant details very often draw one's attention away from bigger things. Obama's second term swearing in is a huge event, yet almost every news organization has spent more time this past week on his wives hair than any other issue surrounding the day.

Distractions are as big a part of life, and politics, in 2013 as the living of the life itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe he's chomping on nicotine gum so I guess we should at least be thankful that he's not dragging on a cigarette.

-Chris

Bobby F said...

I love her bangs!

Here are just a few amazing moments I noticed today:

Pres. Obama's address where he included marriage equality.

Richard Blanco. What an amazing guy.

Bill Clinton eyeing Kelly Clarkson (the pic is on Facebook). It is a quarter of a second but what a quarter of a second.

And I LOVED how Pres. Obama stopped at the top of the stairs before going back into the Capitol to turn around for one last look at everyone who came out today. Very touching.