Sunday, April 7, 2013

Currently Loving: Bates Motel


'A boy's best friend is his mother.'
Norman Bates


A prequel to a 1960 film set in the current day really shouldn't work, but it does!


I am currently loving Bates Motel, A & E's venture into scripted television featuring the iconic characters of Norman and Norma Bates. In this telling of the famous tale, we meet Norman as a high school student and learn what led to one of motion pictures most famous shower scenes. What makes Bates Motel so great is the incredible acting and amazing chemistry of the shows leads played by Vera Farmiga & Freddie Highmore. Highmore makes Norman positively sympathetic and tragic. Overbearing doesn't even come close to describing Farmiga's portrayal of mother.


I recently watched last year's Hitchock, which primarily focused on the making of Psycho. Bates Motel makes a perfect companion piece.


4 comments:

Bobby F said...

I agree! I am a HUGE fan of PSYCHO and have really latched on to "Bates Motel". While it seems a bit uneven at times, I am sticking with it. Plus, there is the whole element of seeing Mike Vogel shirtless showing off that amazing chest like on "PanAm" last year.

Anonymous said...

I didn't like the first episode but it got better episode 2. I'm downloading episode 3 now and can't wait to watch. Also looking forward to watching Hitchcock.

-Chris

iama{GAY}tkeeper said...

I am looking forward in seeing where they take this show.

Anonymous said...

Ok I got to watch episode 3 and loved it! I like that they added an extra layer to the brother instead of just making it all totally conflictual with him and Norman. Would like to see Norma show even a little bit of concern/interest in her other son. Quickly becoming my favorite new show.

-Chris