Thursday, May 9, 2013

Smash: Through His Eyes


I am not sure about you, but usually when I am passionate about a TV show it is not just story, but also because I connect with, and identify with a particular character. Through this connection, as a viewer, I experience the show, the story, the other characters through their eyes. In season one of Smash, there really wasn't a character I liked enough to invest in, therefore giving up before the season ended. In season 2, from the first episode on, I watched and experienced the world of Smash through Kyle, played by Broadway veteran Andy Mientus.


Andy's character was killed off last week, mostly I guess to further Jimmy's story. If I thought Smash was returning next season I would be angry, to me Kyle was the far more interesting of the two. Given Smash seems to be on it's last legs, this time, the killing of a favorite TV character seems like a blessing. Killing Kyle gave Mientus some meaty scenes that ensure the character is remembered for more than Jimmy's adoring best friend. Looking forward to seeing more of Andy in the future!

2 comments:

Tyroga said...

After this week's episode I had to go back and watch is amazing song again... I was sad and annoyed that they killed him off, couldn't he just have ended up in a coma or something.

Like you I really liked his character. So much more endearing than Jeremy's.

What a need from Smash now is cuts of each performance scene into one big music video because I've loved the show all the way through, because of the music. The storyline has been very iffy at times.

Kyle will be missed.

Bobby F said...

I agree. I first knew of Andy when he came to Austin with the road production of SPRING AWAKENING a few years ago. He was featured prominently in the Austin newspaper's entertainment section. He is such a sweetheart.

I never saw season one of Smash (I have bought it on dvd) and he was the sole season I started watching season two...and I am hooked. I will see it thru to the end, even without Andy's Kyle.