Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Vintage Vantage: Omar Sharif


'Hey, Mister Arnstein, Here I am!'

Funny Girl (1968)


I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia, nor Doctor Zhivago.  The only think I really knew about Omar Sharif was that he was a well known and respected actor.  Last weekend though, I was finally introduced officially to his beautiful face, his sexy voice and... his talent.

With Julie Andrews in The Tamarind Seed (1974)

Funny Girl airs all the time, once or twice a year on TCM, but I was never really that interested.  I like Barbra Streisand and I think I even DVR'd it once, but never got beyond the first 10 minutes. I finally watched last weekend, and although I didn't love it, it was far too long, I did enjoy it, in particular my introduction to the sexy Sharif.


From the first time he walked into Fanny's life, I too was in lust in Mr. Arstein.  Even when he began treating her badly, I still wanted them together.  I of course googled Mr. Sharif and have some others I want to watch but started, with his one and only 'sort of' nude scene in Mackenna's Gold (1969). Sharif was a lot of fun, and a lot of sexy, in Gold with a nude scene that although tame today, seems like it might have been pushing the boundaries in 1969.


Mackenna's Gold (1969)

1 comment:

Daniel said...

He was very handsome, and so is his openly gay grandson Omar Sharif Jr. Check him out if you have not already!